Dear Flying G Families,
It’s so exciting that we are so close to starting the 2020-2021 school year. We have been in such and unusual place since last March and getting back to school will be very nice. Over the last six months, much planning has been done to provide students with a safe learning environment to return to. We are following CDC guidelines along with the Return to School Roadmap to guide us during the unprecedented times. Thank you for being so supportive and understanding during these difficult times. The following is a list of important things that you will want to get the year started well:
- You child’s schedule is included with this letter. Students will be spending their days almost entirely in their advisory teacher’s classroom. Advisory is at different points throughout the day depending on your child’s grade level, so please help them make sure they know where they will be heading on the first day of school.
- An online tour of the building and our new safety protocols will be shared in place of an Open House/Registration day this year. Please make sure your email address is correct so you receive this.
- We ask that everyone do their part to keep others safe by not sending your child to school it they aren’t feeling well or exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms. There is a flyer in with this mailing that goes through what we are asking families to do each morning before they send their children to school. If we all follow these guidelines together, it will help keep our schools open.
- Our school doors will not open until 8:00 this year. Student temperatures will be taken by scanners when they enter the building.
- Students may drop off items at their lockers and then need to head directly to the classroom they will spend the day in. Breakfast will be delivered to these rooms.
- All Junior High students in Gladwin will have free breakfast and free lunch this year. Lunch has been added to our free meals this year. Please fill out the single page form enclosed in this packet if you do not have any students in the high school. If you do have a high school child, there is a Free and Reduced Lunch application to fill out. You can return any applications to any school office and they will be forwarded to the food service office. You may also apply at www.lunchapp.com.
- All parents and visitors must report to the office and enter through the temperature scanner if they need to enter the building. We will be limiting non-staff members in the office. We will be conducting as much business as we can through the door buzzer including calling for students that are being picked up early for appointments. If you call ahead, we will have students waiting for your arrival.
- Dismissal will be different this year as all buses will be arriving at the Junior High following picking up all High School bus students. We will dismiss non-bus students at 3:21 from the south side of the building with parents picking them up on Warren Street. When the buses arrive around 3:25 we will dismiss bus students to the north side of the building where the buses will be lined up on Martin Street. Students are only allowed to ride their assigned route bus. There will be no shuttle buses to the Elementary/Intermediate school. Students are allowed to walk to those buildings to meet rides if they need to.
- School pictures are typically at our registration day. This year, we will not be scheduling pictures until later in the year.
We are about to begin a school year unlike any before. We are excited to make it a great year. It will require everyone to work together and support one another. It will also require open communication so please be sure to keep your contact information up to date in the office. We will be sharing directions on how to update information in Skyward or you are always able to contact the office with changes. I will be sending out emails, school messenger phone calls, and individual phone calls to communicate important things to families. The district facebook page will also be utilized although not everyone has facebook. Teachers will also be using email and apps such as Remind to communicate with families.
It really is exciting to get back to school. Things are going to be very different, but there also be things the students will enjoy even more than in the past. We will also be making adjustments to plans as we implement things to help things go more smoothly. Please be patient as we adjust to all of the changes that have been made and will continue to be made. The safety of everyone is our number one priority. We are working hard to provide the best education we can through this difficult situation. We ask that you all do your part to support us through this process and follow the guidelines that have been set forth that we are following. Thank you all, and go Flying Gs!